Don’t color outside the lines. Remember that? Less true today, but there are a few rules you need to follow when you begin social media. It’s sort of like email – you can’t see someone’s face when you’re reading their post, nor do you get any body language clues – but you don’t want to be misunderstood. Take these rules into consideration.
- What’s your purpose? Nurturing your clients? Getting to know new prospects? Making immediate sales? Depending on your purpose, your strategy changes.
- Keep it simple and loose. What I mean is, it doesn’t always have to be a serious subject. Have a little fun too – your want to be likeable.
- Social media by itself may not be effective. Instead, think of social media as supporting your grander plans.
- Content, content, content. If you bring value, people will notice.
- Don’t just post, post, post, but listen too. And re-post, re-tweet to share ideas and content.
- Don’t forget your call to action. Tell followers what you want them to do – sign up for a seminar, download a white paper, come to a function, or some other action.
- Share content that other’s post. The more you share, the more likely your message will be heard.
Need some help creating an effective social media strategy? A good tactic to take is to create an editorial calendar – here’s how. Or give us a call at 301-467-2501 to help you get going.